Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Head banging frustration ... mixed with some good

Last month, I registered for the Eastern States 20 Mile run. I sent an e-mail to the Race Director notifying him I was competing in a racing chair ... and was met by a HUGH amount of negativity. He immediately started making excuses about why HE thought I would not be able to compete in a chair. This is one of his typical replies: " I am not sure  my insurance or town regulations will allow wheelchairs/handcycles". We all know that is total BS. After a few e-mails back and forth (with him mostly saying he was waiting for information about his insurance - 3 weeks, REALLY?), he stopped responding at all. Until I get a definite answer from him, there is little I can do from the legal standpoint. ADA doesn't apply until I have been denied accommodation; I can't force him to answer; all I can do is show up (a 1500 mile drive, BTW) and see what happens. If you want to jerk this #jackwagon up a notch, you can contact him at  Don Allison, Race Director.

The crazy part of all this - this is the ONLY time I have had a problem like this. I have registered for two other races since then - The Shamrock Scurry 5K in Tallahassee, FL and the Bainbridge 1/2 Marathon in Bainbridge, GA.  Neither has EVER had a racing chair entry; both Race Directors responded within an hour and THANKED me for entering. One even gave me a 50% discount on the entry fee!

Oops - THREE races - I also registered for the Wine & Dine 1/2 Marathon at Walt Disney World.

MEANWHILE ... I met some of Team Achilles during the Dopey at Walt Disney World in January, and they encouraged me to apply. I am now going to be racing as part of Team Achilles!

No comments:

Post a Comment