Saturday, April 12, 2014

One victory at a time

The Race Director for the Space Coast Marathon has agreed to accommodate me. What accommodation? He is starting me at a different time. ALL races that allow wheelchair and handcycle racers have a different start time for them.

He is starting me 1 1/2 hours after the half marathon start to give them time to clear the course.  For him, that means it is safer for the half marathon runners. That means I start 1 hour after the Marathon runner start. To me, that means I am going to be passing a LOT of run/walkers and will actually be MORE hazardous overall.

You take what you can get, and I registered for the marathon.

On a side note, he stated that the course was an out and back and it was a safety hazard for wheelchairs and handcycles. The course DOES have some out and back sections, but the start and finish points are NOT the same (not even close, for that matter) - that means the run is NOT an out and back. Out and backs require a little more attention because of oncoming runners as well as potential bottlenecks because of runners on both sides of you, but are NOT inherently dangerous.

I still call it a minor victory.

No comments:

Post a Comment